Monday, July 20, 2009

Bunny Rescue

Today at the park Courtnie found baby bunnies, what she called "chipmunks", huddled together in the mulch right in the middle of the playground. What did we do? We took them home. I was worried that we made the wrong choice but after getting them home and reading a bit about them, they were dehydrated (the hair on their necks was spiked and their pee was a brown color). We took them to the Vet and he confirmed their dehydration and told us how to feed them. We bought goat's milk, eyedroppers and veggie mulch. The first thing we do when we get home is feed them. Two of of the bunnies enjoyed their feedings and the other two weren't having it. Persistence paid off and we learned to just drop the milk on their lips and they will suckle it in. So cute!! We even had them opening their mouths and could see their tiny teeth and tongues lapping at it. While reading about raising abandoned bunnies I learned two very interesting facts - mother rabbits nurse their bunnies for 5 minutes a day and that they stimulate their genitalia to teach them to tee tee. So what does a good, proud owner of bunnies do? I stimulated their genitalia, which leads me to the conclusion that they are all boys. However, I'm very certain I could have lived my entire life without ever having to stroke a bunnies manhood. They are currently nestled in their box right now under a lamp. I'm praying they survive. I'd feel awful if they didn't make it, but really what chance would they have had in the middle of a playground with children everywhere and no momma to feed them?

4 comments:

Leann said...

How adorable! It sounds like you are learning all kinds of interesting facts! Way to rescue!

Breanne said...

ug - i want my babies back at home...

Unknown said...

They are so adorable!!!!

abby said...

Bizarre about the genital stimulation... I laughed out loud as I imagined you doing this.