Sunday, May 10, 2009

Week-long Fasting

At church the other week, the congregation was challenged to fast from something for one week. We discussed this over dinner with the kids and they were excited and up for the task. My choice was easy to make - sweets and snacks. I absolutely LOVE something sweet and even snacks throughout the day. Jason said he would fast from salt which is a big deal for him. Cameron was quick to say he would give up TV for a week. While Courtnie was a bit reluctant to let go of her TV watching, she agreed in the end to not watch TV for the week. Colton wasn't given a choice and joined his brother and sister in their fasting choice.

We're proud to announce the week has passed and we all survived. The kids are convinced that missing one week of TV means that every show they have ever watched is now just re-runs and old news. Jason and I both lived through a long week without the things we love; we might be skin and bones now but we survived none the less.

This led us to a few conclusions - although I feel the need to have a snack every evening and some sort of chocolate after every meal (kinda like an after dinner mint), I don't necessarily NEED them. And Jason too. He really really wants that salt but he made it through without it. Maybe now he can just have a dash of salt with his food instead of a bit of food with his mound of salt.

The kids - having that TV off was awesome!! Jason and I loved it so much. The kids fought less even though before they fought about other things than the TV. I guess even just the white noise of the TV was a bit hectic. Jason and I are going to discuss some sort of upcoming TV schedule for the kids which will be far less TV. Our kids already watch very little TV but I totally enjoyed them watching nothing. Maybe we will look into it being a privilege?!

In honor of Mother's Day today - I'm having a snack tonight =)

3 comments:

Leann said...

Fasting from salt would be hard for me!

Jess said...

You deserve a snack! This is such a good idea. We should try it. . .I think I may be giving up the same thing as you.

Misty said...

What a great idea! That's some discipline. Good job.

Maybe I'll see you in the upcoming weeks when Christy and Abbott are in town!