Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I love to read this book! It's a fun read and it so enjoyable for the kids especially when you have them taste everything the caterpillar tasted as you read along the story. And there are so many other fun activities to do that center around the theme of the book.But we have our very own "The Very Hungry Catrpillar" and I don't like him much, or his 3 other family members. We grilled out dinner last night - steak and chicken with baked potatoes, beans and salad. I go to my garden, which is growing VERY nicely, to clip some lettuce for tonights dinner. Do you know what I found? Half of the lettuce had four caterpillars just making a home and eatting our lettuce. That's not all... they poop too!! I just sat there and stared at the lettuce and pondered what to do with the little beasts and their tiny black balls of poo. I decided to go ahead and cut the lettuce they hadn't found and then completely pull the lettuce they had loved on and start over.

Then, I captured the little guys. I now have caterpillars in my house, feeding them (with my very own lettuce which they clearly enjoy), and waiting for them to turn into their chrysalis' and possibly into butterflys. Better to forgive right? So rather than stomp on them and curse them for eatting my meal, I took them in and gave them a good home.

We got them all cozy and situated in a plastic container and I put a stick in there and some lettuce to munch on. We woke up this morning and those boogers ate all the lettuce over night. The jar is now full of more poop. Seriously? I have never seen any of God's creatures eat and poop as much as caterpillar. Amazing. I'm very tempted to put some other kinds of foods in their jar (apples, pears, plums, strawberries, oranges, chocolate cake, ice cream, pickles, swiss cheese, salami, lollipops, cherry pie, sausage, cupcake and watermelon) that the caterpillar in the book ate, just out of curiousity. I'll keep you posted if we decide to go this route.

In the mean time, I am going to make a homemade insect repellent to spray on my fruits and veggies so these little critters will stay away from all my hard work. They're kinda like extra children - something else to keep my eye on, to feed, they eat MY portions, get things dirty, and take over my kitchen space.
I have NO hard feelings, can you tell?

2 comments:

Leann said...

You took forgiveness to a whole new level!

Jess said...

You are a good woman, that's all I have to say! =)