Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Garden Update

We are absolutely loving our garden! The kids and I are learning very much about this process, about patience, and about good nutrition. So far a few of my tactics are working - getting the kids to learn and care about nature and gardening and trying foods and liking them especially since you put in the hard work. For instance, Colton refuses to eat strawberries. Except when we personally pull them off our plants, rinse them and eat them outside. Our lettuce has grown back and so far no more caterpillars. You can see in the picture half the lettuce is gone now but we will be planting more seeds soon. The cucumbers are exploding at the moment and need to be split - Aunt Bee get your extra space ready!! Our watermelon has since grown a flower so we should soon see how watermelons grow. Our hot peppers... lets just say we haven't lost hope yet. they aren't dieing but not exactly growing either. Time will tell I guess. Here are some updated pictures. I'm certain at this point I've convinced Jason that I CAN do this!! I hope to build an above the ground garden in the back (we need to be able to keep the wildlife out of our foods).

Watermelons:

Peppers:

Cucumbers:

Strawberries:

Lettuce:

2 comments:

Breanne said...

love it.

:]

Leann said...

Isn't it so fun to watch a plant you've lovingly planted grow and produce?