For more than two years now my periods have been horrible. They last 2-3 weeks and are pretty consistent at being every 4 weeks apart. As you can imagine, this doesnt leave alot of "off" time. Its no exaggeration that when one would last 3 weeks that I had one week off before the next one began. I have been to three gynocologists offices looking for answers and someone to tell me the problem and cure. Nothing. I finally heard of a procedure called NovaSure that would actually end my periods for the rest of my life. I really struggled with this. Few doctors will actually perform this procedure because of the risks - its harder to detect cervical cancer after this procedure has been done and my insurance wont cover the cost because "it isnt necessary". It must be a man who processed that claim, because bleeding for 2-3 weeks every month cannot possibly be normal or an okay quality of life. After my last period, which lasted 2+ weeks, I made the call and told them I was ready for this to end. They told me to call when my next peirod started.
This leads me to my scare. I was supposed to start my period LAST Monday (9/1) but as of last night it still hadnt arrived. Jason has had a vasectomy but all it takes in one furiously fast swimmer to change my life forever. After agonizing over my missing period, I finally mustered up enough courage to call a friend and tell her my fears. She laughs with me (my laugh was trying to cover up my worst fear come true) and tells me not to worry and just take a test. I didnt sleep at all last night. I kept going through every scenario possible that might occur from a pregnancy and nothing good was coming to mind. I finally wake up this morning to the happiest sight ever - my period! [insert BIG smiles] I was ecstatic! I called my doctor first thing this morning to let them know.
My first appointment is scheduled for next Thursday afternoon. This appointment is just a more detailed ultrasound. Ive actually had this done before when they were trying to find a cause for the bleeding and it isnt the most comfortable procedure. The next appointment is the following Tuesday with a biopsy being done on my cervix. I cant imagine this is going to feel wonderful either. After these, if all tests are good, I will have the final procedure done and be period-free for the rest of my life. I am sooo excited! The final procedure will be done under anesthesia but in the office. Ive actually had this done once before too from a hemorrage scare after a surgery and this was done with me awake and in excrutiating pain. My poor mom stood by me gagging trying so hard to be supportive. So knowing this will be done with me asleep is of great comfort. Im not exactly looking forward to the upcoming painful procedures but I know after they are done, relief from all of this will be a nice welcome and greatly appreciated.
I will keep you posted on how everything goes. I have never enjoyed a period more in my life and hopefully this will be my last =)
4 comments:
glad to hear you've found a solution! i hope all goes well...you'll be in my prayers!
thanks for your sweet comment :)
Yikes! Congrats on not being prego!
Keep us posted on all the upcoming dr visits!
I am glad things turned out the way you wanted. Just remember that if it ever does happen it must be in God's plans :) You will have to tell me more about this procedure.
you need a bumber sticker that says "NO MORE . "
Post a Comment