Have you ever put thought into this title? Stay-at-home-mom. Tuesday was my only day this week to accomplish anything around the house and yet I call myself a stay-at-home mother. Hello?? When do I get to stay at home? I do work part-time, but the days that I am supposed to be at home, we are always keeping busy. Doctors appointments, dentists appointments, errands, practices, games or performances, grocery shopping, playdates. I dont even "stay-home" on the weekends! I will confess, there are times when I am "at home" that I completely do nothing. Sometimes I lay Colton down for rest time and plop my butt right here on the couch and do nothing. I dont feel guilty about it either because seriously, that may be the only time that week that I actually sit and that be the only thing I do for the moment. And Im okay with that.
This is what the "stay-at-home-mom" title really should be:
Housekeeper, cook, teacher and tutor, laundry machine operator, personal chauffer, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer, mediator, accountant, entertainer, nurse and psychologist.
This title comes with some clarity - I am oncall 24/7. No sleep, sick, want a raise, need a break, desire a hot meal, lacking new clothes? Too bad. Flipside - lots and lots of love, never ending smiles, the joy in watching your child grow and learn, knowing your child has endless appreciation for all that you do (although they may not realize this until years later). I love all those job titles!! Just think the "stay-at-home-mom" title is a bit of an oxymoron.
1 comment:
you are so cute :] and your kids will forever love you for your job : ]
Post a Comment