Thursday, August 27, 2015

Chemo Day 4

I had the pleasure of taking my brother to Day 4 of chemo therapy. He gave me three rules (given by the middle-men Dad and Mom).

1. Pick him up WITH breakfast.
2. Don't talk, he doesn't feel good.
3. Don't be a dumbass. For real.

Seems easy enough! And I do have to appreciate his honesty! Truth is, I liked knowing what was expected of me and  these would probably be my exact rules if I were in his place.

The day went well. I sat my butt in a chair all day and he slept. Poor guy! But I know he appreciated the moral support (and breakfast).  Do you have any idea what it's like to see a grown man-child tear up from pain and nausea? I cried. I turned my face away so he wouldn't see, although when I turned back around he had his face covered anyway.  Another sad reality, so many people came and went while he sat here and say here. A true reality at the cancers he's fighting. 

This is a sad, sad place to be. It's one big room with chairs lined up and people sitting there with poison pumping through their veins, all in an attempt to defy the odds and live a little bit longer. It takes special nurses to work in here. I heard one nurse today, "I will allow you to be grumpy with me right now, but no more after today. You hear me?" Por old man said, "yes ma'am!"  They do everything with such love and yet are still very professional. 






No comments: