Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Peaceful Kind of Quiet

This past holiday weekend, Jason and I had the luxury of spending 4 days without children.  I'm pretty sure that's the absolute longest time we've ever had alone aside from our honeymoon.  We didn't get a hotel room and we didn't plan fun and eventful outings.  We stayed home, slept in, ate in bed, watched tv shows WE wanted to watch, took naps, stayed up late watching movies that weren't rated G and pretty much nothing else :)

It was definitely much needed time with each other.  Many times of quiet, but not uncomfortable quiet, a peaceful kind of quiet.  I'm not sure why people warn us about always having something to talk about.  I think silence is golden!  We never, EVER hear that anymore and we don't have to talk to keep things alive.  Our eyes, our smiles, ours hands and our hearts speak for themselves.  I already know what he's thinking and he is the same with me.  Lots of times in the midst of silence, we will both begin to talk about the very same thing not ever having known what was on each others' minds.  This always gets us laughing; we do it all the time!!

Sure, I missed my children.  I wanted to call them and hear their voices, make sure they weren't bickering (and in doing so embarrassing me), to see if they were eating healthy, to make sure they applied sunscreen, and brushed their teeth.  Lucky for them, where they are has limited cell service so we were only able to talk once a day.  I missed the lights on all over the house letting me know they were home safe and sound.  I missed the laughter, seeing them play together, and I even missed running them around town and seeing their enthusiasm for a fun outing.

They come home later tonight.  When things return back to normal within minutes of them walking through the door, I promise to cherish the times they bicker with each other, smile at the grunting or objections to chores, and ignore the sighs when I send them to their own rooms for the night.  For tonight, I will just enjoy having them back home. 

For tomorrow begins a new day, the reprogramming begins at dawn.  When children are with their grandparents, they follow a different set of rules than at home.  I will spend the next 2 days or so drilling the Gautreaux Rules in their sweet heads and the discipline gets more serious for awhile.

It was worth it all.  I absolutely LOVED the time I had with Jason this weekend. 

THANK YOU to my aunt and uncle and my mom for allowing this weekend for us.  I know they had so much fun with you and can't wait to hear their stories.  I do hope someone took pictures for us!  We love you all and appreciate you!

No comments: