Courtnie comes home from school, hands me a piece of paper and says, "I do NOT want to watch that video. I know everything already!" Of course I knew then what "video" she was talking about but read the letter anyway. Apparently they have the girls watch the video a year earlier now since they are hitting puberty at an earlier age (this is just so sad to me). I make sure she really doesn't want to watch the video, sign the letter and have her return it to school the next day.
A few days later I get a call from Courtnie on her teacher's cell phone. "Mom, please send Mrs. Marks an email saying I want to watch the video. If I don't watch it, I'll be the ONLY girl in the class. I want to watch it now!" I send the email right then (yay for modern technology!).
Later that night we're sitting together with the family at dinner - the 5 of us, Aunt B, my Mom and Grannie. Courtnie tells us about the video, about how it's called a period because it lasts for a period of time. She tells us that periods usually last 3-7 days and that you will need to change your pad every 4-6 hours. We quickly informed her that because she was born into our family, we have longer periods, like 7-14 days, and that you will need to change your pad every hour and maybe even wear a tampon with the pad.
At this point, Cameron is beyond humiliated. Courtnie slams her hands on the table and says, "No way! I listen to you boys talk about balls all the time, you're going to listen about periods!" No rebuttal was necessary as Cameron knows this is very true. He agreed, sat back and learned more than he wanted to know about girls.
Our conversation continues about tampons - me and Courtnie, Aunt B, Nanie and Grannie, Dad and both brothers. If you've ever had a dinner time conversation with the Gautreaux's, you will never know which direction it will take. We are a very open family and quite possibly a little too open. I do know this, my kids are very well informed and neither the boys nor Courtnie have any level of curiosity. They are not modest, they ask questions and they tell things like they are.
I love them! I love my family! And I love dinners together! We've even ended the night with an hour and a half game of Paper, Rock, Scissors together. But this dinner conversation just might top them all :)
3 comments:
Fail. Aunt B was there too! :)
Yes you were! For some reason I was thinking you were working. Sorry! I updated. You KNOW you're important in our lives!
This is great. Courtnie's comeback was SO GREAT! I'm sad she's had to listen to conversations about balls at the dinner table though. That's gross!
Post a Comment