Thursday, April 21, 2011

We Fix Flats


I am notorious for flat tires, blowouts too.  My first flat tire was when I was 15 with only a permit.  I just hit the curb on a curve and the tire was just gone.  I guess this makes this an official blowout versus a flat tire.  My next flat tire was when I was driving home from a friend's house.  I heard a noise from the time I left and just assumed it was bad gas (in the car, not me).  But after 20 minutes or so driving and people pointing at the back end of my car, I figured out it was a flat tire.  Or really a shredded tire on a rim.  After that, they all become a blur.  I don't hit curbs really, or drive near construction but my tires attract nails like none other.

The other morning Jason calls me and asks what my plans are for the day.  My first thought was "Is this a trick question?  Does he know I had planned to do some shopping today?"  But he just wanted me to check my tire and get it fixed if needed.  Man that tire was flat!  I wasn't going anywhere until the tire was fixed.  Jason did offer to come home from work early and get it done for me but then I would have had to halt my shopping plans for the day and who really wants to do that?

So off to the tire place I go.  The sign reads:

Flats as in tires, not boobs.  This sign used to bring such laughter to my heart.  Now it just means I've managed to get another flat tire and I've heard another lecture from my husband about how to drive and avoid flat tires. 

It's always the same speech - "Look DOWN for nails or anything else that might puncture your tire."  Really?  Who does this?!  I absolutely cannot look down on the pavement for nails AND look up and drive correctly.  It just isn't possible for me.  I cannot multitask while driving.  I can pretend to hear the kids' stories while cooking, I can watch TV while doing laundry, I can even read while taking a bath... but look down on the ground and look forward all while driving.... impossible.

I digress...

I get to the tire place and they asked me to sit in the lobby while they fix my tire.  Do you know what the lobby was?  It was two rolling chairs so old I just knew the minute I sat down, if I were to decide to sit down, that years worth of collected grease and dust were going to shoot up from the seat and into the air.  These said "lobby chairs" were strategically placed between to massive size racks of tires (like the picture above).  Kinda creepy if you ask me.  I chose to stand where they were using some tool that made this horribly loud noise, which I heard no less than 50 times while I was there.  I jumped every.single.time. they made that noise. 

The guys were really nice and I didn't feel too awkward while waiting.  But I have got to learn how to not drive over nails.  The trip to the tire place just wasn't on my agenda for the day and it really wasn't an experience I want to do ever again.  It's a man's job really :)

No comments: