Monday, June 1, 2009

Smoke Detector Drama

Why is it that smoke detector batteries go out in the middle of the night? I have yet to hear one of our detectors start beeping in the middle of the day. Wait! I take that back. I did have one beep not too long ago every couple of hours during the day when Jason was out of town. Luckily it stopped beeping by bedtime. Maybe I just needed an extra form of entertainment.

But seriously, there has to be some sort of logic behind this. Why do they go out in the middle of the night? Why not during the day? It's very frustrating to wake up to this loud shrill alarm only to find that the one you think is beeping, really isn't. So then you move on to the next alarm in hopes that the one you are now standing directly under is the one needing immediate attention. Of course after you stand in that one spot for 10 minutes and it also isn't the detector sounding off, you move on to the next alarm. We have 9 smoke detectors around our house, this process could take awhile.

Picture it. Jason and I rolling out of bed, spending no less than 30 minutes half asleep locating the alarming smoke detector. Afterwards, Jason gets the ladder, climbs to the very top. He then spends no less than 15 minutes with his arms straight in the air trying to remove and replace the battery while the alarm continues to beep ever so loudly right in our ears. This entire process can take forever, unless of course you happen upon the correct alarm quickly and replace the battery without difficulties. One problem still remains - our ceilings are quite high. I have the privilege of holding the ladder still so Jason doesn't fall. Really babe? If the ladder is going to fall, do you truly think I'll be able to save you? Think about it.... there you are standing at the very top of the ladder, wobbling with both hands in the air and the ladder starts leaning. Do you honestly think my strength will pull the ladder back in place? I don't know, but Ill keep standing by your side.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Oh, this brings back memories. Ours always did this in the middle of the night when I was pregnant and Brett was out of town. Seriously. It happened just like that more than once. I had to climb on the ladder. I don't get it either.