Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Compassion

Compassion: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it
Forgiveness: allowing room for error or weakness
Integrity: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values; honesty

These are just a few things many people lack these days. I realized today that sometimes people do not think of others or the trials they may be facing before criticizing or judging them. This is so sad. Anytime someone has done me wrong (whether it be cutting me off while driving, saying something hateful, or just giving a wrong look) I try to imagine something that has caused them to do this. I guess it's my way of hoping they did something wrong because of a stress in their life or even just not thinking altogether. I would not feel so great if I found out someone did something to hurt another deliberately. And the truth is, none of us are perfect!

After I was extremely offended today and noticed that this person lacked these incredible things, my anger was just fuming inside. How do people really lack compassion for others? My heart goes out to people who are less fortunate than I am. And it's times like this that I'm reminded that my house doesn't really need to be decorated exactly so, I don't need extra money to go out to eat, I don't need a new car just because I cant stand the one I drive. Those reminders put me in my place - I have food on the table, my bills are paid, there are clothes on our backs and shoes on our feet, a roof over our heads, and above all we are a healthy family who loves each other unconditionally. What more could a girl need?

Then I get this wonderful letter from my Dad. In his letter he reminds me of the forgiveness I have shown to him. This made me cry again (I cant even begin to guess how many times Ive actually shed tears today. Too many to count!). Isn't it funny how God works though? How he uses someones words or actions at the most wonderful time to remind you how you are supposed to act in a particular situation?? I sat there reading his letter and it struck me that I am supposed to use that same forgiveness to those who do not have compassion or forgiveness towards myself or others. And there isn't anything I can do for those who lack those things, other than pray for them. So I sit here now praying for those who do not have the kindest of words or actions and for those who have hurt me today. My prayer for them is that they will realize how often and how much people are hurting around us and that life isn't about them all the time. Its okay to show others forgiveness and its okay to let the little things slide. My prayer continues for myself - that I may forgive others and find the great qualities they have and that my example of compassion and forgiveness helps others to do just the same.

By the way Dad, I am looking forward to more letters!! I will never forget the incredible ways God uses and works through others.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

I LOVE YOU :]

deecee said...

I love you too Brandie!!!A wholr bunch!