Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tuesday Storytime

I have been taking Colton to storytime at the Rockwall Library. These pictures are from our second visit, which was this past Tuesday. It was actually probably a better time to take pictures than last week anyway. Let me back up some and tell you about our last trip to the library over the summer....

We had just gotten there and had plans to go to lunch afterwards. Colton was insisting that he didnt want to go (this should have been my sign!). We get inside the storyroom and he starts yelling. I am trying to console him and pull out a carpet square for him - his favorite color, orange! He is not having it. So I sit down on the carpet square myself and rest him in my lap, only to see him quickly jump out of it and run away. This is in the library people! And the moms are now watching me!!! We left with him sidways in my arms and his arms swinging at my legs and his feet hitting my backside. I was mortified!! Something I have learned about library storytimes - the moms and children there are regulars. They know every song, their children listen to the stories and interact with the songs and finger plays, and they enjoy the crafts and activities. Not Colton. He couldnt care if he never went to another storytime again. But we can overcome this, I know we will.

Going back to yesterday.... This time we went with friends, they're children he knows and adores. Im certain he is going to love storytime! We have been twice now and both times he tells me he doesnt want to go to storytime, he doesnt like it. But I insist we go because afterall, ITS FUN! He hasnt thrown a fit again but he does sit in my lap most of the time and just observe. He did sing one of the songs this time AND he colored (well, made dots from an ink pad) on his craft. And get this, he wrote his name for the first time ever while we were there!!! Im going to have to scan this in and post this. Maybe I should even do Cameron and Courtnie's names the first time they wrote theirs; they would like to see that too.

Im going to have to start taking my camera every week. We invited a couple more friends to join us so maybe once he gets his own little "group" of friends he will open up and have more fun! Courtnie was with us yesterday too, the kids were out of school for a student holiday. Cameron is "too old" for the library! Also, if you are off and want to join us on any Tuesday, please do!!

2 comments:

Thosetwogirls said...

I think he did great! And I was super impressed with his writting his name. It seems like each week they sneak a little closer to participating all the way!

A tootie ta a tootie ta a tootie ta ta!

Breanne said...

aw - IT IS FUN . . lol that made me laugh. .