Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Upcoming Surgery

I have now had both of my pre-op appointments. The first was a histo-sonogram. This is where they inject saline into the cervix to open it more fully to see if there are any possible reasons for the bleeding and to make sure there aren't any cysts that aren't easily detectable. Although there was some cramping it wasn't too bad and it was clear. The appointment today was... different. They scraped the lining of my cervix and will send it off for a biopsy. I was really expecting it to be similar to a pap smear. It wasn't. And I was unprepared. As my knees began to squeeze inward and my hands are gripping the table, my doctor says, "Remember your breathing exercises you used for natural childbirth? You need to use those again right now." The look on my face must have said it all - the quick disappearing smile, the immediate halt in the conversation, the sweat dripping down my forehead and cheeks, the sight of my eyes bulging from my head, the lack of oxygen from holding my breath. Either way, I was glad when he was done. I had to sit on the examining table just to catch my breath and muster up the courage to put my clothes back on while still using my breathing techniques like I was giving birth. Have you ever realized how often in life these nice breathing exercises work in different situations??

My actual surgery is schedule for October 16th, a Thursday. I'm super excited!! I cannot imagine a life period-free. Oh the joy this is sure to bring me =)

5 comments:

Thosetwogirls said...

Oh I am clenching for you. I had a similar procedure done when we were doing the IF treatments and I can remember nearly passing out from the pain. At least its over. I am jealous that you wont be seeing good ol aunt flo any more though :( Are you going to be down for a few days? Let me know if you need help with anything.

abby said...

YAY for uterine surgery! You need a bumper sticker that says this too! I'm so sorry about your visit though... why didn't he even warn you? He's lucky I'm not his patient... I would have kicked him in the head "accidentally" and then scraped his cervix!

Breanne said...

OUCH! sounds like fun, sorry I missed it. - but hey that was only a little(lot!)pain for no more periods. darn you!

julie said...

Ouch! That hurts just to read! I am glad you are able to have the surgery! - Lucky duck!

Erica said...

The procedure sounds painful, but the end results....priceless!!