Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Super Mom

The other evening when I dropped Courtnie off at cheer practice, two of the moms had read my blog and commented on me being "super mom". One might think this is a flattering comment but if you know me at all then you know I was a bit embarrassed. Even though I knew ir was intended to be a sweet comment I actually think its a bit deceiving because I am nowhere near a super mom. So I have been thinking of all the things that would disqualify me for being super mom. Here they are:

1. My patience level could use an extreme boost on a regular basis. Over the years I have learned how to be more patient but from time to time I am reminded with the fact that I need to be a bit more patient and understanding.

2. I do not like to sweep and vacuum. Now I understand most people do not like these household chores, but how long exactly would you avoid these chores? I confess - I mop only when my socks begin to stick to the floor and vacuum when I get tired of seeing things on the carpet - playground mulch or pebbles, shredded balls from being thrown too often, torn paper that was once a piece of someones craft, or general dirt. I also mop and sweep when I know someone is coming over =) So for all of my dear friends who think my house is ALWAYS clean and spotless, its only that way because I knew you were headed my direction.

3. Be very careful when entering my kids' bathroom. I would actually suggest that you use only my bathroom when visiting. The boys dont aim very well when using the toilet, not one of my kids can nicely fold a towel over the side of the bathtub, Courtnie doesnt understand that all of her things do not belong ON the counter and the boys do not understand that their things do not belong on the floor. And somehow they all manage to splatter toothpaste all over the bathroom mirror and leave it to crust in and around the sink. I still havent figured out how they do this! However, if I know you are coming over I will clean their bathroom for you.

4. I am exhausted and get a hint of laziness in my system everyday at 8pm. When the younger two go to bed, I shower and plop my butt right here on the couch so that I can do nothing. I'm in bed by 9pm, not necessarily asleep but in bed for sure. If you call me after this time, I will not answer my phone. Forgive me though. If there is anything left undone in the house after this time, too bad. I will not do it. I am not a marathon mother who goes non-stop when her kids go to bed. I probably could accomplish alot more during this time but I just dont have it in me.

5. I am late to lots of places. I used to be very on-time everywhere we went, really it was a good 10-15 minutes early. One might think this is a good thing but that whole patience thing and waiting on others to get there and get there on time is a struggle. And no one ever seems to get in trouble anymore for being late. So.... I decided it wasnt worth my hassle and stress to be on-time all the time. We usually arrive to places right on time and sometimes even a little late. It makes me feel a rebelious! It does stress my kids out though; see what I passed on to them? Not good.

6. I do not feed my childrne gourmet breakfasts. Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, cold cereal, frozen waffles or toaster struddels it is. We do have gourmet breakfasts for dinner - biscuits and homemade gravy, bacon and eggs. But in the mornings, I confess, we eat lazy. I do make up for it though with healthy, fun lunches and dinners.

Anybody who reads this.... please remind me of the other non-super mom things I do.

2 comments:

julie said...

Good, now I can feel normal. I loved seeing you at Tom Thumb for a brief moment yesterday... we should arrange that more often.:)

Breanne said...

aw - You are a super mom. . :] - I promise.