Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sky Ranch Camp

Cameron's 5th grade class went to camp at Sky Ranch this week for three days. I went as a chaperone. I had sooo much fun. As did Cameron. I am absolutely amazed at how much learning the kids do and even more at the fun they have while learning. I have never seen a camp staff more excited about their jobs and a more perfect fit for teaching 5th graders in a camp-type environment. They had 3 hours of class time in the morning and another 3 hours of class time in the afternoon. The kids had skCRAZY time where they did wild movement type activities - Ive never seen a larger group of kids doing The Cupid Shuffle! We played a real-life version of Clue, our cabin full of boys came up with the best skit (and Im not being biased here), had smores by the campfire, hiked, shot off homemade rockets, held and pet the ugliest critters of all (tarantulas, snakes, lizards, hedghog, etc). They also had two hours of free time to roam around, play sports, mini golf, volleyball or nukem and this massive size jumping pillow. We honestly had so much to do and so much fun we really didnt have problems getting 12 boys to shower and get to sleep at night. Of course they had to have their evening activity of a 12 man wrestling match, but once we got them calmed after that they were pretty easy to get in their beds and off to sleep. Getting them up was a different story but we were never late for headquarters and breakfast!

I am so glad I went with Cameron. He doesnt show too many emotions so you never really know what he is thinking. But each meal time he came to sit right next to me (with all of his friends )and this just melted my heart. Its nice to still have that connection with your child, especially now that he is getting older and really isnt into hanging out with mom anymore. I tried to not embarrass him and am pretty certain I accomplished this.

Here are just a few of our pictures from our camp experience. Check out our family web album to see all of our pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/bran0224. PS - My son does actually own something other than that red hoodie. I just couldnt get him to part with it over these last few days, even in the Texas heat! Even at home he wears hoodies constantly.

3 comments:

Carole said...

I'm so glad y'all had fun! Sky Ranch holds a special place in my heart - it's where James proposed to me. He went to summer camp there as a kid and then was a counselor there for 4 years during his summers while in college. We still have many friends that work there!

julie said...

That is awesome!!! What kind of 5th grade class gets to go to Sky Ranch for 3 days?! Especially at the beginning of the year? What a great school!

You're such a good mom to go. You know the kids that have parents on the trips feel so good and loved - and cool.

Desiree said...

haha! that one kids shirt is funny! looks like you guys had fun