Thursday, September 4, 2008

Courtnie's Birth Story

We found out I was pregnant very early on (a honeymoon baby) and I just knew she was a girl. My pregnancy with Courtnie also went smoothly at the beginning until at 33 weeks when my water broke. This time, I knew for sure it was broken! I was at work chatting via Instant Message (ah, what a job!) when I felt something wet. I honestly sat there thinking I had lost all bladder control. I went to the bathroom and when it continued I asked my aunt to take me in to L&D. Upon getting there, they immediately confirmed my water had broken and told me I was going to be there for the duration of the pregnancy. Days later, Jason and I sat down for dinner (me Long John Silvers and Jason Wing Stop) and I didnt even take a bite when my stomach began to cramp. I went to the bathroom in hopes that was the problem and came back knowing it was contractions. When the first full force contraction hit (the kind that take your breath away and have you searching desperately for something to grab on to) I called the nurse. She comes in and the next thing we know I am being rushed back to L&D to deliver at only 34 weeks. I was dilated to 6cm and labor moved extremely fast (2 hrs from first contraction to delivery). Courtnie Shea was born on June 29, 2001 at 9:37pm weighing 4 lbs 12 oz and 17 1/2 inches long.

I do have a funny story to share - when we were eating and labor began, Jason refused to stop eating his dinner. He literally sat there eating his wings and fries while I am glaring at him and panicking. If you have ever seen my husband eat wings and fries, this is a slow and tedious process. He savors every bite and is almost oblivious to the world around him.

After the delivery, she was whisked away to NICU. I panicked and became very uncooperative and they gave me what they called a "margarita shot" and this blurred my memory some. It just isnt normal or right for a mother to not see or hold her child after delivery (although I do understand the urgency and her being a preemie). I remember being wheeled back to my room and being told they were transporting her to Baylor Grapevine NICU because the Garland NICU was full. The transport team brought her in to see me and I got to hold her for a few minutes, literally. I just held her and cried. After they left, I cried for the next 48 hours solid until they released me. I walked out of that hospital and headed straight for Grapevine (completely ignoring doctors orders to rest and take it easy). The next five days consisted of me waking up super early to be at Grapevine for her 8am feeding and I didnt leave until after her 8pm feeding. Because of those two days with her in NICU and me being so far away she was given bottles. I was terrified she would reject breastfeeding and was thrilled when she took right to it. Her weight dropped down to 4lbs 8oz (at her smallest) and we brought her home weighing 4lbs 10 oz.

When we brought her home, Cameron adored her! He would "help" change her, burp her, clothe her, etc. The best part was just watching him love on her, play with her and even at times just lay right next to her while she slept. He took on the big brother role perfectly!

Courtnie was a very clingy infant and toddler. She loved only her mama. For those of you who were around for these years, you know exactly what Im talking about. She wanted me and only me and if left with anyone else she cried. And her cry wasnt a cry like she was throwing a fit, it was a cry of pure pain and neglect. She was able to come with me to work but at 7 months I thought it would be better for her to go to a sitter for a few days so that I could actually get some full days of work in. Her sitter was a dear friend of mine, who Courtnie knew. But after a few weeks, my friend brought her up to me at work and both she and Courtnie were in tears. My friend told me she no longer could keep Courtnie because her crying broke her heart. Everyday when we pulled up Courtnie began crying hysterically and she did so until I picked her up. She refused to be fed (bottle or food), refused to be held and refused to be loved on. She would either lay by the front door and cry or would crawl to be put in the pack and play (where she actually didnt cry until she was taken out again). How sad is this people??? I went home that day with a not-so-glorious plan to quit work. I had all of our bills and expenses on one side of the paper and one income on the other and we were not going to make it. However, Jason knew that me staying home with the kids (especially Courtnie) was the best thing for me to do and never thought twice about telling me to quit work and I have been home ever since with no regrets. Every month our bills are paid, kids are involved in activities, and we are fed meals galore. God has in the past and continues to make a way for me to be at home. (I need to remind myself of this everytime I begin searching for a job!)

She is a wonderful little girl, very happy yet shy with a beautiful smile. However, Ive never seen a little girl throw a solid punch like she does! The boys have definitely learned not to pick on her unless they are ready for fight. She definitely helps me to keep the boys grounded around here.

3 comments:

Breanne said...

So I do remeber Miss Courtnie : ] - I didn't know it went so fast though. . and that cry... , maybe when she has children they will have a cry just like their mommy and she will then understand what she put you through lol : ]

Thosetwogirls said...

Cherish it. There are days when the clinginess could drive me batty, but then I think about them growing up and one day out of the blue I will realize that she no longer needs me like she does now.

Ok so I am in a really sad mood. Can you tell?

julie said...

Awww.. that made me smile. What a good momma. Thanks for sharing that.