Friday, August 15, 2008

Parking Lot Wars

I went up to the hospital yesterday evening to see my friend Anna and her baby again. I only had a $20 bill on me and had planned to just use it to pay for my parking. By the time I left, the attendants were gone so I just put my $20 into the automated machine and it printed a receipt for me to bring later to be given my $17 owed. Not a problem really since I had plans to go visit again the very next morning and again on Saturday. Jump ahead to Friday morning - I pull up to the booth at 12:03pm and try to hand her my receipt. She tells me she is closed and doesnt have the cash right now. So I kindly ask in my nicest voice how long it would be until she was open (you know since its now after noon and she is in the booth already and curious when the cash for the day magically appears) and she tells me in 10 minutes. So I back up and wait (hey, we're talking $17 here, that's a trip to Kroger for me!). So she finally decides to stop gabbing and opens her booth for the afternoon. I drive up, hand her my receipt and here is our conversation:

Attendant: "I cant give you $17, our machine doesnt take $20 bills."
Me: "Well, it took my $20 and it says on the receipt that I am owed $17."
Attendant: "I am not giving you $17."
Me: "Can I have my receipt back please?"
Attendant: "No. I will not give you $17."
Me: "Give me my receipt... now."

So she hands me my receipt (I must have had a mean face on) and proceeds to chant, "I will not give you $17" while her friend starts mouthing. So I put my car in park and call the Baylor Parking Services Office. As I am doing so, the attendants ask me who I am calling, and I tell them, and they proceed with their chant in complete refusal. Our conversation now:

Me: "I was here yesterday and left late at night and put a $20 bill into the machine. My receipt shows that I am owed $17 and the attendants will not give me my change."
Office: "They should, why wont they?"
Me: "I dont know, but they are refusing to give me my change."
Office: "What lot are you in?"
Me: "I dont know, does it say on my receipt?"
Office: "No. Ask the attendants."
Me: "Are you serious? Do you truly think they will tell me correctly?"
Office: "They should!"
Me: "What lot is this?"
Attendant: "Lot 5" [in her snottiest voice]
Office: "Hold on, I will call their Supervisor and she will tell them to give you your change."

Meanwhile, one attendant continues with the "I will not give you $17" chant while the other is on the phone with the Supervisor. She gets off the phone and they both STILL continue to refuse to give me my change. Seriously, they REFUSE to do as their supervisor has just told them!

Office: "They should give you the change now."
Me: "They still will not give me the change." [trying to laught this off some]
Office: "Go ahead and come into the Office and we will give you the change...."

Can you believe these two were refusing to hand over change owed to someone even though the receipt clearly shows the amount due? And even after speaking to their Supervisor? What has the world come to? My heaven's! Do you not appreciate your job in an 8x5 booth? It cant possibly be that difficult. This whole ordeal lasted a solid 10 minutes.

After all this happens, what do I do.... CRY! Why do I cry? Why does pure frustration lead me to tears. Everytime. I cant help myself. I cry everytime I am offended in some way or another and once my tears start flowing, they cannot be stopped. I didnt let them see me cry though. Jason always says, "Never let 'em see you limp." They didnt see me cry babe, but I was certainly defeated. That was hard work trying to get my $17.

5 comments:

julie said...

That sounds horrible!!! I feel so bad that I did not even call Anna today! Yesterday and today ended up being way busier than I thought they would be. I'm glad you got your $17 back!

Carole said...

That is infuriating. I hope those girls get fired!

I would've cried too:)

abby said...

This is why I will never carry a concealed weapon...

They sound high quality. Did they have the radio playing "I was gonna give you your change... but then i got high..." ??

Ha HA! Remember that song?? Laugh now so you don't cry anymore...

Thosetwogirls said...

Oh my goodness girl! You didnt tell me about this! Do you want me to go kick some butt? Seriously! That is unbelievable. If I were you I would be looking to file some sort of complaint. That is un real!

Breanne said...

thats so sad. . . you just dont have the best of luck do you . . .